Once I had written my article, I needed to proceed to sub-editing in order to make my article presentable to an audience. To do this I used Microsoft Publisher as it is easy to use and allows me to incorporate the elements I need to in order for my sub-edit to be interesting and appealing enough for the audience. For example, using the column tool, I was able to split my text into two columns to give my sub-edit professional look. It makes it look more professional as columns are a very common convention found in articles within magazines and newspapers around the world.
Before I placed my article in my Publisher document I needed to proof read it so that I do not risk publishing an article with mistakes. If mistakes were found then it could harm the professionalism of the sub-edit and the article, possibly even damaging my reputation as a journalist. I proof read my article myself, got a friend and even my tutor to read through it just in case I had made any mistakes.
Another thing I had to do in my sub-edit was to sacrifice some of the article so that the article was better presented. So my article fit better on the page in the font type and size that I wanted (Segoe UI Light, size 11), I had to remove some text in the article. The text I chose was near the end of the article and I felt that it wasn't vital to keep. This allowed me to use the font I wanted, which was important to me as it was both easy to read and aesthetically pleasing. As I was able to fit my text where I wanted it, I was then able to fit an image and stand first below the headline.
I placed a pull quote in the bottom right hand corner of the page in the space that was not covered to not only fill that space so that the page doesn't look bland, but also in an attempt to grab the readers attention. I made the text larger and used the same font but made it bold. I did this so the style of the text is consistent throughout.
I have also tried to make both my headline and my stand first stand out. To make sure my headline stands out from the rest of the text I have placed it as the masthead of the page. I have also made the text larger and in bold. This means on the readers first glance they can read the headline and decipher what the article is going to be about. The stand first is different from the rest as I have used a box-out to try and guarantee that the reader takes notice of the text. This is because the text is an introduction to the article and will give the reader an idea about whether they will want to carry on reading the article.
As the image I have used is quite a general image and does not have anything to do with certain things in the article (e.g. it's not a picture with students in, if it was then the students would have to be actual students). I also do not have a caption anywhere on the publication so I do not have any captions to check for inaccurate information.
Finally, there was nothing in my article that would mean my copy isn't legally safe, therefore I did not have to change anything in the sub-edit of my publication. I also believe I have met the guidelines for editors that is issued by IPSO. For example, the statistics I have included are accurate as they are from reliable sources. Others codes of practice have been complied with.

No comments:
Post a Comment