Tuesday, 20 February 2018

P3- Sensationilism


Sensationalist language- language used to excite a reader, they’re often not afraid to offend and can sometimes forfeit accuracy.               


Before

Lauren Goodger slams working parents in Twitter rant










‘No amount of money or career is worth leaving my baby with a stranger!’


Lauren Goodger has taken to Twitter to slam working parents in a rant against using nannies to look after children.

It all started when she retweeted an article a few days ago about a nanny who was abusing a child left in their care, and she argued that no parents should ever go to work and leave a child with hired help.


She wrote: “This lady needs more than a sentence I feel so uncomfortable watching that I could cry .. put me in a room with this women she needs this treatment done to her I feel f**king ragging ! This is why parents should NOT go to work and leave with a Nanny ! I don’t care what people say”

She then started it up again today, retweeting a Closer Online article about her original tweet.

Lauren wrote: No amount of money or career Is worth leaving my baby with a stranger!NEVER it’s heartbreaking to think mums would still do this even after seeing this!Like I say if u no the nanny well or adult your leaving them with n u trust them thats different story!its not always the case.

She then added: “Actually not even wasting my time explaining .. you no exactly what im saying about leaving your baby with someone you trust yes even a nanny that you no well !.. id never leave my baby with someone I hired ! Here’s your prime example why and I’ll NEVER change my view on this ..”

She rounded off the rant with: “I no makes me think what type of mother are you to not agree with me? Who said you can’t work? Who said they can’t put them in nursery? All I’m saying is make sure it’s with a nanny you no them well enough and would trust your life with that person’ coz my child will be my world”.

Many of her followers voiced their disagreement with Lauren's views. One wrote: "Are you actually serious! Who are you to question what type of mother anyone is! I dont agree with your views and i sure as hell wont have you question me as a mother! I work ..and im bloody proud of that!!"

Another added: "It’s good to have a view about the ideal of how you would bring up a child. Sadly life isn’t like that for everyone, as a single parent to 2 young children I had to work to provide for them. Wasn’t born into or had family with money. Both my children have grown up very secure".

Others agreed with Lauren, however, with one writing: "high 5 , im a single mom to a 13 year old girl and only person my daughter has ever gone to is my mom & dads, even now no stranger will be looking after my Sophie. Children are way to precious. X".


After

Lauren Goodger Tweets about parents












‘No amount of money or career is worth leaving my baby with a stranger!’


Lauren Goodger has tweeted about parents, talking about how they use nannies if they’re busy.

It all started when she retweeted an article a few days ago about a nanny who was abusing a child left in their care, and she argued that no parents should ever go to work and leave a child with hired help.


She wrote: “This lady needs more than a sentence I feel so uncomfortable watching that I could cry .. put me in a room with this women she needs this treatment done to her I feel f**king ragging ! This is why parents should NOT go to work and leave with a Nanny ! I don’t care what people say”

She tweeted again today, retweeting a Closer Online article about her original tweet.

Lauren wrote: No amount of money or career Is worth leaving my baby with a stranger!NEVER it’s heartbreaking to think mums would still do this even after seeing this!Like I say if u no the nanny well or adult your leaving them with n u trust them thats different story!its not always the case.

She then added: “Actually not even wasting my time explaining .. you no exactly what im saying about leaving your baby with someone you trust yes even a nanny that you no well !.. id never leave my baby with someone I hired ! Here’s your prime example why and I’ll NEVER change my view on this ..”

She finished off with: “I no makes me think what type of mother are you to not agree with me? Who said you can’t work? Who said they can’t put them in nursery? All I’m saying is make sure it’s with a nanny you no them well enough and would trust your life with that person’ coz my child will be my world”.

Many of her followers voiced their disagreement with Lauren's views. One wrote: "Are you actually serious! Who are you to question what type of mother anyone is! I dont agree with your views and i sure as hell wont have you question me as a mother! I work ..and im bloody proud of that!!"

Another added: "It’s good to have a view about the ideal of how you would bring up a child. Sadly life isn’t like that for everyone, as a single parent to 2 young children I had to work to provide for them. Wasn’t born into or had family with money. Both my children have grown up very secure".

Others agreed with Lauren, however, with one writing: "high 5 , im a single mom to a 13 year old girl and only person my daughter has ever gone to is my mom & dads, even now no stranger will be looking after my Sophie. Children are way to precious. X".



Justifications/How did the original article use sensationalism?

I altered the headline of the article because “slams” and “rant” are both quite aggressive words, which in this context are directed at “working parents”. This entices people to click and have an opinion on the article as it clarifies the victim of rant, allowing people to either identify with either side of the argument. For example, if the reader themselves area working parent and understand the responsibility and struggles that come along with that, they might want to know if the person ranting is themselves a parent or they could become disgruntled by the headline which could spark interest. I then changed the first paragraph as it also used the words “slam” and “rant”, I simplified it so it had no dramatic effect. I also changed “started it up again” as it also comes across as quite aggressive.

Sensationalism is also used when used in the examples of tweets that Heat have chosen to include images of within the article. In each one, Lauren Goodger uses punctuation such as exclamation points to show her frustration. Heat have chosen these quotes because they show emotion that they hope the readers can relate to. Also, the use of exclamation points makes it appear that she is making a big deal out of the thing she is talking about, this is common within the celebrity news as tabloids/celebrity news orientated magazines/news organisations know that drama sells. 

Another bit of sensationalism within this article also comes within the tweets and quotes. The expletive language used by the celebrity in question fuels the drama that Heat are trying to encourage their readers to take an interest in. Heat feel that it is not a risky decision to leave this language in as they know it is not as shocking to their audience of C2DE as this socio-economic group would be generally believed to have a lesser vocabulary than those of ABC1. This means Heat can assume that those of a C2DE grade may be more likely to use this kind of language and therefore would not be as shocked, meaning they do not get criticised for including this in their article.


This article mostly consists of quotes taken directly from the person that the article is about (Lauren Goodger) with very little analysis or explanations. This is because the article has been published by Heat, which is a popular gossip magazine. Due to the nature of gossiping, people just want to know what happened, where and when. Heat realise this and cater for their audiences needs by simply telling them what happened, not bothering with analysis and in-depth explanations which could take away from the escapism that stories such as this can provide for people.

Sensationalism was bound to show up in this article and from the news organisation that its from (Heat). This is because its target/main audience is those of the NRS grades C2DE. This means they are of a lower social class and are assumed to be less educated. Therefore, they are expected to respond better to not only celebrity news, but also news of a less informative manner, with dramatic language used throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment